Thursday, June 19, 2014

Cordillera Art "Mini-Bulol" ? crafted on Animal Bones at Bencab Museum, Baguio City, Philippines

Around 4 years ago, me, my nanny, and my dog spent our Holy Week vacation in Baguio City, Philippines. I drove for 6 hours using the Kennon Road from Pangasinan. I like Kennon Road over Marcos Road because of the following reasons; 1. I'm used of driving in Kennon. 2. There are no big buses using Kennon 3. It has a short distance from Pangasinan to Baguio City. The only problem of Kennon is, the road is narrow compared to a much wider Marcos Road. Kennon Road was built by the Americans in 1903. On our second day in Baguio City, we went to Bencab Museum along Asin Road. I did not use my car because I did not know where Bencab Museum is. We hired a taxi and asked the driver to bring us to Bencab museum. The road going to the museum is not meant for me to drive. I was scared of narrow roads in Baguio City. My car insurance is not comprehensive, I do not have a personal insurance, and I just sold my Sunlife Phil Equity Mutual Fund. I do not have enough coverage. Haha. When we reached the museum, I went directly to the place where they sell souvenier items and I bought two Bencab prints of which I eventually sold to collectors in Manila after our Holy Week vacation. One is a Mother and Child and the other one is a sunset in the Cordilleras. I politely asked Bencab to personally sign the two prints. He was in the museum during the time of our visit. During our tour of the museum, I was intrigued by the carvings on animal bones of "Mini-Bulol"?. This animal bone carvings are part of Bencab's collection of Cordillera Art. Bencab is a monicker of Benedicto Cabrera. He was awarded National Artist for Visual Arts in the Philippines in 2006. He is a Famous Filipino painter and has sold his artworks around the world.
I am standing infront of some of the hard to find Bulol Collection of Bencab.
I did know that Bencab was on my left side while I was having my photograph taken infront of the reception table of the Bencab Museum. I really love the painting on the wall. This painting is really a representation of the Art and the people of the Cordilleras.

No comments:

Post a Comment