Saturday, June 28, 2014

The tale of my 3 Vintage Rolex GMT-Master 3 Gilt Dials and a Rolex Forum I love

   I never imagined that I would be including selling vintage watch parts in my watch buy and sell business. It all started when a watch technician offered me a vintage Rolex GMT-Master 1675 Faded Pepsi  Bezel Insert.  Since the bezel did well in auction, I contacted some watch traders to bring me any of their vintage watch parts. An old watch technician came to my office and offered me 10 or more vintage Rolex Dials.  Among the 10 dials, 3 are Rolex GMT Master 1675 Gilt Dials! I consulted with someone who is knowledgeable with Rolex if the dials are all originals and when I got an affirmative answer, I bought the dials from the watch technician.  Before I listed  the dials for auction in a popular auction site, I researched on the dials over the internet to learn more of the dial because I am not a Rolex expert. My knowledge was limited to vintage Hamilton, Bulova, Elgin and Omega.  I apologized if I cannot share the pictures of the dials because I lost the file of the dial.
Vintage Rolex Submariner 5508 Chapter Ring Gilt Dial
I listed first the “best dial” among the 3 used Gilt dials. When the auction was over, I never expected the high bid price and my profit from the sale. I was overwhelmed by the result. I was so happy. Then, I waited for another week before I listed for auction the remaining two Gilt Dials. The two gilt GMT dials also sold very well in auction.  I think the old watch technician kept all the dials for a long time. Like me, he does not also know whether the dials would be sold.  The watch technician only knew that I was looking for vintage Rolex Parts from his friend.  We both win from the sale because the watch technician was able to sell his dials that he kept for a long time and I made profit when I listed and sold the dials.
   While I was searching some information on the net, I saw a site that discusses Rolex. From then on, I read mostly the thread comments on VRF wherein I learned A LOT of different things on Rolex. VRF is a forum for Rolex enthusiasts. There are many people in the forum that I have high respect.  Some people in VRF that I have high regard with are mostly Americans, a Swiss, and an Asian. I think the Asian guy is from Malaysia?  I will recommend to anyone who is interested to learn the beautiful world of Rolex by visiting the VRF site. 





     

No comments:

Post a Comment